Qualities of a QUESTion Teacher
The success of the QUESTion Class is founded on teachers’ skills and ability to create a safe environment where deep inquiry and openness can flourish.
Each QUESTion Teacher creates a culture in his/her classroom that empowers students to be themselves and authentically explore their most important life questions. Rather than imparting knowledge (as is common in traditional education environments), QUESTion teachers encourage the wisdom that is within each student to surface and flourish as they learn from one another in a peer-to-peer learning environment.
The ideal teacher demonstrates, or is capable of, developing these qualities. He or she:
- Is creative and brings her/his own life experience to the classroom, taking an innovate approach to teaching while maintaining the integrity of the program;
- Empowers students to think for themselves, shape their own values and draw their own conclusions about life;
- Implicates himself or herself in the exploration together with students, while at the same time exerting the authority to lead and guide students with openness;
- Understands that big questions do not have final answers, and is able to create space to go deeper into the process of questioning;
- Creates a safe space by expressing respect for each student, no matter where they are coming from;
- Is able to deal with disciplinary issues while maintaining an approach that centers on openness and respect;
- Believes in the importance of supporting students in their social and emotional growth, as well as in their critical thinking skills.
With our extensive and inspiring Teacher Training and Certification Program, we support teachers to develop these qualities. Through all 3 steps, we create the foundation for teachers to step into co-creative roles as content designers, authors, and facilitators of their students’ quest to shape their lives with meaning, purpose and infinite possibilities.